Below is useful information about your treatment choices for dental veneers in Colorado Springs at Schope Dental:
What are dental veneers?
When it comes to your teeth, there is no need to be unhappy. Today, there are all sorts of options to help improve the appearance of your teeth with cosmetic dentistry. Dental veneers (often referred to as dental porcelain laminates or porcelain veneers) are thin, custom-made shells that resurface the teeth. These help change the size, shape, length and color of your teeth.
Veneers are often made from resin composite materials or porcelain. Some veneers are very stain resistant and can appear more natural than others. Resin veneers require less removal of the tooth’s surface and are thinner than other types.
Who makes a good candidate for veneers?
Anyone can make a good candidate for veneers; however, those who are unhappy with their smile will benefit the most. Some of the reasons that people get veneers:
- Discolored teeth due to stains from tetracycline, other drugs, a root canal treatment, the presence of fillings, or excessive fluoride.
- Teeth that are misaligned, irregularly shaped, or uneven.
- Teeth that are broken or chipped
- Teeth with gaps (veneers can help close that unsightly space)
- Teeth that are worn down
The procedure details for dental veneers:
Generally, in order to get dental veneers, there needs to be at least three visits to our dentist office, here at Schope Dental. Of these visits, one will include the consultation with Dr. Schope, and other two will be based on making and applying the veneers. Dr. Schope can work simultaneously on the veneering process.
- Diagnosis planning: this step is where you will come and see Dr. Schope to help explain the results that you are looking for. She will explain why you are currently unhappy with your teeth. During this appointment, she will want to do a complete examination of your mouth and teeth. After the examination, we will discuss whether or not you are a good candidate for veneers. If you are a good candidate, we will thoroughly go over the procedure details and limitations. You may also find that we may need to get impressions of your teeth and mouth, as well as x-rays.
- Preparation: before this procedure begins, Dr. Schope will discuss your options for numbing the area. She will start removing the enamel of your tooth so that she can start placing the veneers on your teeth. We will remove about half a millimeter of enamel. Next, we will begin making impressions of each tooth. Once the impressions have been completed, they will be sent out to a dental laboratory that will construct each veneer. This process usually takes one or two weeks to complete. If your teeth appear to be very unsightly, we may provide you with some temporary dental veneers that may cost extra.
- Bonding: Dr. Schope will match up each veneer to make sure it is the right color and size. To make sure the veneer is accurately placed, we will first clean, polish and etch each tooth. Once the veneer has been attached to the tooth, Dr. Schope will make adjustments to it and use a special light beam to help activate chemicals in the cement so that it hardens quickly. Lastly, we will remove any cement that does not belong. Final adjustments are made and your bite is evaluated. Once the procedure is over, we may ask you to return in one or two weeks so that we can examine how your gums are responding and to examine the placement of your veneers.
Dental veneers can be a great option for those who are unhappy with their smile. Although veneers are not for everyone, they can improve the appearance of just one or many of your teeth.
Asking more questions about treatment for veneers in Colorado Springs
If you’re considering veneers treatment in Colorado Springs, feel free to call 719-260-8089 to schedule an appointment to talk to Betty Jo Schope, DDS, PC, at Schope Dental.