At Schope Dental, we can fit you with a permanent, natural looking crown in one visit using our advanced CEREC CAD/CAM crown technology. Our crowns feel comfortable, look natural, and last a long time.
What Is a Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped structure that is placed over a damaged tooth or used to replace a missing tooth. Crowns prevent further tooth damage by protecting the existing tooth from bad bacteria in the saliva. If you need to replace or restore a damaged or missing tooth, you need to see a qualified cosmetic dentist to learn about your options. Dental crowns are used in the following cosmetic dental treatments:
- Dental Implant – A dental implant is a highly effective procedure for replacing tooth. A metal rod is placed in the jaw bone where it functions like a tooth root. A dental crown is then attached to the top, and they provide a natural look and important chewing support. The purpose of this procedure is to provide artificial teeth that looks and functions like real teeth. Dental implants are durable and very difficult to distinguish from natural teeth.
- Tooth Restoration – Crowns can be used to cover teeth that are decayed, broken, damaged, or severely discolored. Many dentists recommend dental crowns for individuals who are not good candidates for porcelain veneers because of tooth grinding, insufficient tooth support, or other reasons.
- Dental Bridge – Many dentists use a dental bridge as a solution for missing teeth. Dental bridges work by bridging the space between two teeth. A dental bridge is made of two porcelain crowns and is placed over the adjacent teeth. They are not easy to distinguish from the natural teeth. Dental bridges are an excellent alternative to serious dental surgery.
- Root Canal – A root canal is a procedure used to treat teeth that have damaged nerve tissue. This procedure involves drilling a hole into the affected tooth to reach the tooth’s inner chamber, to remove the tissue and clean away debris. A dental crown is placed over the tooth, which allows the tooth to retain normal function and appearance. This procedure can save a decayed tooth and help avoid complete tooth replacement.
- Other Considerations – Smile enhancement can dramatically enhance your overall appearance and increase your self-esteem and confidence. Dental crowns are cosmetic dental procedures that can enhance your smile. They are composed of durable materials and can last for several years. It is important to take good care of your teeth so as to increase their durability, and this can be done by daily oral hygiene practices. You need to brush and floss every day as well as visit the dentist on a regular basis. Grinding your teeth or chewing hard foods can damage your dental crown, so avoid that. If you have problem with teeth grinding, talk to your dentist about giving you night-time mouth guards.
CEREC CAD/CAM – One Day Crowns
CEREC® CAD/CAM is a modern technology that allows us at Schope Dental to use digital imaging to fit you with a new, lasting, and functional crown in as little as two hours. This eliminates the need for temporary crowns or visiting the office multiple times. The crowns look just as natural and fit comfortably. Additionally, CEREC CAD/CAM crowns do not have metal in them. Cosmetically, they’re more esthetically pleasing than normal crowns because all you see is the natural color of the tooth. This also makes them an attractive alternative to conventional fillings.
Other advantages of CEREC CAD/CAM include:
- 3-D digital imaging allows for a very precise crown design without the sticky and gooey mold impression
- More tooth structure can be preserved
- Natural-looking tooth color
- Less time spent ‘in the chair’
- All done in one visit to the dentist’s office
Talk to a top cosmetic dentist in Colorado Springs
If you’re looking to improve your smile, talk to Dr. Betty Jo Schope to learn if a crown might be the right solution for your cosmetic dentistry need. Call 719-260-8089 to schedule an appointment. To learn more about other cosmetic dentistry procedures we offer at Schope Dental, click here.